The Antigua Girls High School is committed to the providing a supportive and caring learning environment which creates developmental opportunities designed specifically for the young woman's academic, emotional, and social needs, challenging them to strive for personal excellence, creative thinking and responsible citizenship as women. AGHS began in 1886, when an English couple- a Mr. and Mrs. Williams, came to Antigua, because of Mr. William's failing health. Mrs. Williams became the school's first headmistress. After her husband died, she sent for her sister and together they shared the responsibility of running the school. At this time the school had boarding facilities for local students, as well as students from neighbouring Caribbean islands such as St. Kitts, Nevis, Montserrat, Dominica and Grenada.